Canada is home to some of the best universities in the world and is known for celebrating diversity. So it has become one of the most popular choices among international students who dream of studying abroad. About 10 percent of the students in the universities in Canada are international students. Therefore, it is no surprise if you are thinking of studying in Canada.
Now that you have decided to pursue your higher studies here, the next step is to find the best universities to apply to. Don’t worry, I have got you covered. I have made a list of the best universities in Canada for International students that you can apply to.
The Best Universities in Canada for International Students
University of Toronto
The University of Toronto is a prestigious university that is ranked first in Canada and 16th globally. Students can pick from over 980 different programmes. International students from over 168 countries make up about 21% of the university’s student population. The university is diverse and inclusive.
Aside from the university’s stellar academic reputation, its location is a key asset. You will be able to immerse yourself in Toronto’s lively culture. It is a fantastic city to learn because it attracts a variety of businesses, events, restaurants, and other attractions which makes getting a part-time job easy.
English Language Requirement for UG
- C1 and C2: Minimum overall score of 180; should score at least 170 in every component.
- TOEFL: A total score of 100 + 22 in writing
- IELTS: Overall band score of 6.5
University of British Columbia (UBC)
Established in 1908, the University of British Columbia is one of the most prestigious universities in Canada. It is home to the world’s largest cyclotron. The University of British Colombia attracts students from more than 140 countries. It provides over 254 undergraduate programs and 244 postgraduate programs.
English Language Requirement
TOEFL: Minimum 550 marks (paper-based) and 90 (internet-based)
IELTS: Minimum overall band score of 6.5
McGill University, founded in 1821, is one of Canada’s most distinguished medical doctoral universities. McGill University has over 30% international students, making it one of the most diversified universities in the world. Justin Trudeau, the current President of Canada, is a graduate of the university. Over 400 postgraduate programs are available at the university. It also offers students internships so that they can obtain real experience, expertise, and exposure.
English Language Requirement for Undergraduate Programs
If you have lived or attended high school or college in a place where the primary language is English for at least 4 consecutive years, you don’t have to provide evidence of your proficiency in English. Otherwise, you will have to provide one of the following acceptable means of proving your proficiency in English:
- Cambridge C2 Proficiency: Grade C or better
- Cambridge C1 Advanced: Grade B or better
- Canadian Academic English Language (CAEL): Minimum overall band score of 70 and at least a score of 60 for individual components
- Duolingo English Test (DET): Minimum score of 115
- IELTS: Minimum band score of 6.5 and at least 6.0 in individual components
- Pearson Test of English (Academic): Minimum overall score of 65 and at least a score of 60 for individual components
- TOEFL (For undergraduates):
|Program||Internet-Based Composite Score|
|Agricultural and Environmental Sciences (including Dietetics and Human Nutrition), B.A. & Sc., Education, Science, Engineering, Arts, Nursing, Physical and Occupational Therapy, Architecture, Religious Studies, Social Work||90(Minimum score of 21 in each component)|
|Education (TESL), Management||100(Minimum score of 21 in each component)|
English Language Requirement for Graduate Programs
If your mother tongue is English, have obtained an undergraduate or graduate degree from a recognized foreign institution where English is the primary language of instruction, have obtained an undergraduate or graduate degree from a recognized institution in the USA or Canada, or have lived or attended high school or college in a place where the primary language is English for at least 4 consecutive years, you don’t have to provide evidence of your proficiency in English.
Otherwise, you will have to provide either of the following acceptable means of proving your proficiency in English:
TOEFL (IBT): At least an overall score of 80 with a score of 20 for each component
IELTS: An overall score of 6.5 or more
Senator William McMaster founded McMaster University in 1887, and it is currently ranked fourth in Canada and 80th globally. It has a long academic and research history, and it prepares students to rule the world in every way. The university’s allure is enhanced by the faculty’s dedication to teaching and intellectual development of students. Students from over 90 countries attend the university, which values diversity.
English Language Requirement
- IELTS: overall band score of 6.5 with a minimum of 6.0 in every component
- CAEL: overall score of 70 and a minimum component score of 60; an overall score of 50 for MELD (McMaster English Development) Program
- Duolingo English Test: 115 for direct-entry undergraduate programs; 75-114 for MELD (DET results should be sent directly to the university electronically from the test centre)
- TOEFL: overall score of 86 with a minimum individual component score of 20 (IBT); an overall score of 70 for MELD Program
- Cambridge Advanced English (C1 Advanced and C2 Proficiency): An overall score of 180 with a minimum component score of 176.
- PTE: An overall score of 60 with 60 in each component.
- CAEL CA: An overall score of 70 with a minimum component score of 60; an overall score of 50 for the MELD Program
What is the cost of studying in Canada?
Studying in Canada is much more affordable compared to many other countries. It would cost between C$20,000 and C$30,000 annually.
How much bank balance should on have to a student visa to study in Canada?
You will have to show that you can support yourself financially by presenting a minimum account balance. To study in Canada you will need to have a minimum of 5,00,000 in your bank account.